How we allocated funding
We used our funding to promote sport and enhance sporting provision for the children at Chopwell Primary by investing in the SSP Enhanced Services. The services we receive directly from the SSP are outlined below.
1. SCHOOL SPORT
Chopwell Primary received:
· Access to the SSP competition calendar
· Flagship Events (Dance, Athletics etc)
· Basic CPD package
· Primary PE & School Sport Conference
· 1 x FREE coaching block
· Approx. 20% discount on additional coaching blocks
· Access to Blazing The Trail (cross-curricular programme)
· Access to the Innovation Awards
· End of Year School Engagement Report
· Access to Gifted & Talented (Showing Potential) programme
2. SCHOOL SPORT Enhanced Services
Chopwell Primary received:
Access to ‘Enhanced’ competitions
· Enhanced CPD packages
· Corporate discounts (clothing, medals, equipment etc.)
· Affiliation fees paid – Youth Sport Trust, National Trust
· PE & School Sport Consultancy – Review and Action Plan
· Full Cluster Programme, including:
. School Games Mark Action Plan
. 1 x Intra-School Competition Support within your school
. Inter-School Competition at Thorp Academy (7 events in total)
. Cluster Meetings – 1 per term
. Leadership & Volunteering Training at Thorp Academy (for a minimum of 10 pupils)
. 1 x Day of specific subject support from the Thorp Academy PE Department within your school.
3. HEALTH & WELLBEING SLA
Chopwell Primary receive:
· Access to the Gateshead Schools Health & Wellbeing Award Framework (inc. Whole School Review Tool)
· Dedicated staff support (2 x ½ days - completion of Whole School Review & School Action Plan)
· Access to a minimum of 2 Centrally co-ordinated health & Wellbeing opportunities
· 2 x delegate places at the annual Schools Health & Wellbeing Conference
· Access to termly Health & Wellbeing Co-ordinator support forums
· Access to 1 ‘in-school’ intervention/activity linked to identified areas of priority
· Annual subscription to the Schools Health & Wellbeing website and a wide range of online resources
· Regular updates and examples of good practice
· Discounted access to APPROVED external Health & Wellbeing providers
· Signposting to wider Health & Wellbeing services (e.g. sexual health, substance misuse, emotional health & wellbeing.
Throughout the school year we allocated funding towards purchasing high quality equipment that would directly impact on the children's ability to develop their sporting abilities in line with the SSPs sporting calendar. We purchased equipment such as; mat trolleys, hurdles, rounders bats, tennis balls and resources suitable for the physical development of the EYFS children.
We have invested significantly in high quality coaching through Newcastle United Football Club. The funding aimed to allow all of our children from Reception to year 6 to receive high quality P.E coaching from the NUFC that would support and upskill our teaching staff to promote independence and a high standard of PE delivery across the school. However, due to the COVID-19 pandemic, only some year groups benefited from the NUFC coaching this year. We also invested in a high quality karate coach for our Y5 children to allow them to gain experience of a less commonly taught sport. The children thoroughly enjoyed the sessions and some looked to join a karate club outside of school. Nursery and Reception were also provided with coaches for 'Little Rugby Stars' and 'Little Kickers'. The staff were able to work alongside the coaches to observe, plan and deliver high quality activities to develop EYFS children's physical development.
Both KS1 and KS2 had planned to enter many SSP events in 2020/2021. Due to the COVID-19 pandemic, the children were only able to compete in competitions and festivals virtually. During the events, the children demonstrated determination, resilience, sportsmanship, passion, empathy and humility.
Sporting events that Chopwell Primary took part in:
. Y3-Y6 Fitness Frenzy Week
. Whole School Fitness Festival
. Whole School 'Around the World Mile Tracker'
. EYFS Multisport Festival
. Y4 and Y6 Orienteering afternoon
. Whole school Football skills training